Ever have one of those days…

when things keep going wrong?  I did. 
It started Thursday afternoon when I found out that my company will approve raises soon but my boss didn’t put me on the list for one.  She gave me a "song and dance" when I asked why and suggested I look for another job.  If I’m offered a postion with more money she will counter.  Apparently playing games and wasting someone else’s time (not to mention my own) are the only ways I’ll get an increase when I’m not even  receiving the kind of salary my experience and work performance merit.  I love my job but knowing that my boss is taking me for granted really hurts.  I’d hate to give up the perks I now enjoy but realize that integrity, loyalty and hard work above and beyond the call of duty are no longer appreciated.
I decided, for the time being, to focus on having a good time with B.  We agreed to meet in Hoboken at the NJ Transit Terminal (aka Hoboken South) after work and spend the night and most of Saturday at his place.  After a quiet morning and early afternoon, all hell broke loose at work around 3:45 but I managed to get everything resolved and leave the office by 5pm.  I called B to let him know I’d make the 5:45 ferry to Hoboken South.  When 5:50 rolled around and no ferry showed up, I  asked at the information desk whether the schedule had changed… normally the ferry runs every 15 minutes.  I was told that the ferry no longer runs during the week but I can take the Hoboken North ferry and catch the light rail to the Terminal.  After a quick call to B to let him know of the change in plans (and subsequent lateness), I boarded the ferry only to find the light rail was nowhere in sight at the Hoboken North pier.  Another passenger told me the light rail stop is on the other side of town but Washington Street is a few blocks away and I can catch a bus to the Terminal.  So much for getting correct information at the information desk. 
I called B again to tell him yet another change in plans… he’s waiting at the platform when I get off the bus.  After the afternoon I’ve had (and since it was also Cinco de Mayo) we decided to grab a margarita before heading to his place.  No sooner did I step off the curb onto the cobblestone street, than I trip over one of the old rail lines, go flying and land hard on my left knee.  Being the big klutz that I am (which is why my ex husband said I "have all the grace of a stumbling elephant") I tend to trip and fall a lot and my left knee takes the brunt… it’s been banged up quite a bit over the last few years.  With this, on top of the day I’ve had, it was hard not to
B helped me clean off my knee, suggested we go straight to his place and offered to grab a cab instead of taking the 15 minute walk from the train station to his apartment.  As it turned out, the knee wasn’t as bad as I feared and didn’t stiffen up during the train ride so I was able to walk.  Once we got to his apartment, B gave me a bag of frozen carrots to keep down the swelling.  I’m happy to say the rest of the evening and next day went very well. 

About EmilyD

Now in my 50's and still a work in progress. Proud, happy mom of 2 wonderful kids who are married to equally wonderful people. Patiently waiting on grandchildren to spoil. In love with, and happily engaged to, my best friend and looking forward to the rest of the journey on this planet by his side.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s